When the veterans of World War One returned to Enfield, they formed an organization which they called the Soldiers and Sailors Club. In 1920 this organization was disbanded and Post No. 80 of the American Legion was formed with fifteen charter members. John L. Sullivan served as its first commander. Dr. Frank Simonton was elected commander the second year and he served for three terms.
After much research it was found that Horace J. Tanguay was the first local boy to be killed in action in WW1 and it was voted to honor him by naming the post after him. The first meeting place was in the Allen house on Asnuntuck Street. These rooms were used until 1933 when the Post moved to the Brown building on High Street. A Boy Scout Troop was sponsored in 1928.
During the early years of the Legion, hard work and careful planning by the officers and members held the Post together. During World War Two, the Post was active in all of the various war projects. In 1943 the Post sponsored a pupil form Enfield High School in the National Legion Oratorical Contests. Under the coaching of Miss Jennie Brakel of the high school faculty we won the County Contest five times. We also won the State Contest twice and placed second twice.
After World War Two it was decided to honor the first boy from Enfield to lose his life in this war – William Watson Magill. It was voted to rename the Post to Tanguay-Magill Post, No. 80.
During the flood of 1936, the Legion provided shelter and fed victims of the flood whose homes became unlivable. Our Scout Troop was called to Hartford to do traffic duty in that city.
In 1936 it was decided to start a Building Fund to provide our own quarters, and in 1954 a plot of land was purchased from the town. A committee was appointed to oversee the erection of the new home. After many meetings and much planning, work got under way and the bulding was constructed.
May it serve the veterans of this community for many year to come.